If the thought of cleaning an entire house is equal parts overwhelming and overdue, then this is the series for you! Here at Simplify My Home our idea is to take things step-by-step, room-by-room, or project-by-project. Remember that one project done is better than none!
Enter our Simplify My Home – Spring Clean 2020 Challenge!
We’ve created a series designed to give you weekly inspiration and tips for the key rooms in your household. Each week we’ll be pairing the products we use ahead of time so you can get yourself sorted, and then get stuck into it the following week (there might even be a cheeky discount as an added incentive to get cracking). We’ve designed each space to be worked on over a week as we understand not all days go to plan and a weekend might be the only window of time you have. We’d love to see your before and after photos and we will share with you our efforts too, to offer practical insights into how we declutter and clean our own homes.
Now is a great time to consider how your existing home storage and layout is working for you. Here’s a simple approach to making the most out of spring cleaning 2020:
- Write a list of the areas you need to work on
- Choose your first area (our series will start with the laundry) and move (or even better – remove!) as many items from the space you are cleaning, including furniture
- It can seem like overkill to remove furniture, but it’s well worth it to go a good job and actually makes the whole process faster and more thorough
- Now it’s time to get rid of the things you aren’t using – rehome, regift or recycle. Return things to their proper place and if they don’t have one – consider if you need it or if you need to make a space for it.
- Time to clean! Now is the time for a quick clean. Up to you what you use but we recommend dish soap, baking soda, white vinegar, salt and lemon mixed into a spray bottle for a really effective and chemical free clean.
Consider the function of each room or area.
- Now things are decluttered and clean. Review the space you’re working in and consider the composition of the room or cupboards. Is everything working in a way that’s functional for your lifestyle?
- Key things to think about here are purpose of the room, storage spaces and the overall aesthetic. Small things such as furniture placement or added storage containers could make a huge impact on your day to day use of the space.
Create a ‘home’ for your belongings…
- We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again… ‘A place for everything and everything in its place”… Each item you’ve decided to keep should have a place. This way, you (and the rest of the family) know where it has to go at the end of the day, making clean-up easier.
Check out our series on Instagram, kicking off from Wednesday 14 October for more practical tips – feel free to DM us or email us if you get stuck or if you need recommendations of particular space and which product is best. A tape measure is always really handy in order to work out your storage requirements when you’re doing a deep clean. All the best and we can’t wait to see the before and after photos!